Thursday, February 01, 2007

Shenzhen Again (深圳)

昨天我回去深圳。I discovered that this time was much more enjoyable since I wasn't fatigued from illness and having respiratory problems. After adjusting to Hong Kong, I was delighted and almost nostalgic to see those aspects of China which are, to me, uniquely China.

What I really enjoy about China are the sheer number of specialty shops which have resulted from the massive manufacturing industry. I was able to purchase my stainless steel plates and bowls, where else? at the stainless steel kitchen equipment shop. I also returned to the delightful 2元 store for some knick-knacks.

I would say my best discovery from yesterday's trip was 东门接,which in my guidebook, was marked as a shopping area. I took this to mean that it would be little shops on a dilapidated street; I was completely surprised to find a veritable mecca for shopping! There was Starbucks (星巴克), McDonalds , KFC, as well as Baleno, Yishion, and other well-known Chinese franchises. I think one could easily spend a whole day just browsing 东门街。The quickest route to 东门街 is by bus, or take the subway from Luohan and get off at 老街。



深圳 is not a day city; it is a night city. By day, the city appears rather unremarkable. But at night 深圳 comes alive! The streets are suddenly lively and filled with young people who are very much at ease. Yesterday, I was able to sense how affluent a city 深圳 was.


Spring Festival is coming! Get your ornaments now!

No comments: