Monday, January 22, 2007

Weekend Activities

This past weekend was spent re-connecting with old friends now living in Hong Kong.

A high school classmate of mine, Will, is married with an almost 3-year-old daughter. I met him at Tsim Sha Tsui on Friday night and he took me to a hot pot restaurant for dinner. He updated me on people from high school who were were married or had kids. I, on the other hand, informed him of people from high school were were still single. After dinner, we went across the harbour to a lounge in Hong Kong (how locals refer to Hong Kong island). I learned a a game called Liar Dice, which is pretty popular here along with karaoke. Will and I agreed that it was too much torture to listen to drunken, aspiring singers all night long. This wasn't a true lounge anyway, just another business sacrificing quality for profit.

On Sunday afternoon, I met my college friend, Alan, whom I hadn't seen in 6-and-a-half years. We explored a mall called Festival Walk in Kowloon Tong, which also has an indoor skating rink and movie theater. There is a shop in the mall called Mix, which offers Jamba Juice-like products and services. Definitely a place I will be returning to again soon. Later, we went to Causeway Bay for some more shopping. Since shopping is Hong Kong's speciality, it seems that everyone, even men, enjoys shopping here. They really enjoy it!

"This is Hong Kong, all we do here is shop and eat!" ~Alan

No comments: